Have you ever felt afraid of rejection, failing, and not being good enough?
I bet you have. You see, fear is something that is common in our lives…no matter who we are!
Unlike animals or trees that live to their fullest, fear prevents most humans from reaching their full potential.
In essence, fear might just be the hidden force that is keeping you from pursuing your dream today!
But how do we reduce the tendency to operate out of fear?
Here are five strategies that might help you:
1. IDENTIFY YOUR FEAR: You must first identify your fear before you can overcome it. Ask yourself, what is that I am afraid of? Sit quietly and observe your thoughts, feelings and bodily sensations. Write down specific thoughts that you identify.
2. DETERMINE THE SOURCE OF YOUR FEARS: To be able to work against our fears, we must first understand their source. Identify which are real and those that are unreal. List them all down and try to reflect to discover how you can work on it.
3. RECOGNIZE FEAR CAN WORK FOR YOU: As you learn more about your fear, realize that understanding and overcoming the fear is the surest way to reach your highest potential. Recognise your fear as a piece of information to act upon instead of a threat to your survival as a person. Acting on these areas of weakness can actually help you become a better person.
4. AVOID USING FEAR AS AN EXCUSE: Excuses are what pushes you to not face your fears head on. Talking yourself out of massive action is where most people hide instead of taking the step forward. Always remember that successful people act despite feeling the fear, because not taking action will only take you backwards. So act and act and fear will subside!
5. ADOPT A GROWTH MINDSET – Most people have resigned themselves to the possibility that their dream is beyond their capabilities. They ask questions like, What if I make a mistake? What if I fail? In order to succeed, you need to develop a growth mindset, aware that you have the capacity to always develop new and better strategies to overcome any challenges.
Hence, when you commit to facing your fears, you will be able to discover strategies to overcome them and find motivation to enjoy and work effectively. You will find that there is growth in failure and that giving up is the only sure way to failure.
Now knowing these, which of these strategies do you intend to use to overcome your fears?
Share your experiences of how you have used these strategies to deal with fear.
Till then, let’s keep taking massive action in spite of the fear we often feel.
All good wishes
Dr. Gerald Amandu, PhD
Leadership Coach and Business Advisor CEO & Founder, Gerald Amandu Success Academy